Sunday, January 25, 2009
This amendment provides that: (credit: Vanderbilt University)
• English is the official language the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Tennessee.
• Official actions which bind or commit the government are required to be taken only in the English language.
• All official government communications and publications are required to be made only in English.
• No person shall have a right to government services in any other language.
• All meetings of the Metro Council, Boards, and Commissions of the Metropolitan Government are required to be conducted only in English.
• The Metro Council may make specific exceptions to protect public health and safety.
• Nothing in the amendment shall be interpreted to conflict with federal or state law.
There is no official language in the United States.
The local newspaper, Tennessean, frets the measure is discriminatory and runs afoul of civil rights laws. The editorial urges defeat of the English-only proposition and reports the world is watching the vote carefully.
If you are in Buenos Aires and want English lessons personally designed to fit your needs, please call Professor Winn at 1160 461 342 or send an email to email@example.com.
Anyone interested in English-language services or translations (Sp/Fr/Pt>En) may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a prompt evaluation.
Buy your English-language texts today!