Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Word Use: Hardly and Scarcely

buzz this

When do you use "hardly" and "scarcely?"

Hardly and 'scarcely are adverbs mostly used with past perfect to show something that happened in quick succession in the past.

Ex: Hardly had I come in the door, when Mariana arrived.

EX: Luisa had scarcely finished her meal when she received the call from Juanito.

Extra tip: Barely is also an adverb with similar use.

Ex: I had barely finished my work when my boss gave me another assignment.

***
If you are in Buenos Aires and want English lessons personally designed to fit your needs, please call Professor Winn at 1160 461 342 or send an email to mrenglish101@gmail.com.

Anyone interested in English-language services or translations (Sp/Fr/Pt>En) may send an email to mrenglish101@gmail.com for a prompt evaluation.

Buy your English-language texts today!

No comments: